VACANCY: Unit Manager – Night
Start Date: 1 July 2016
The Night Manager will assume overall responsibility for the hospital ensuring a safe environment to all patients, staff and stakeholders. The incumbent will also be responsible for all reasonable operational activities in the absence of other Managers. In accordance the incumbent will be accountable for coordinating capacity building, mentoring and training.
- A relevant nursing qualification (Diploma in General Nursing/ B Cur Degree) or equivalent NQF level 7 qualification
- Registration with SANC as a Registered Nurse
- Compliance with the SANC code for a Registered Nurse and all applicable health care legislations
- A qualification in BLS/ALS is beneficial
- A qualification in Nursing Management would be advantageous
- At least 3 or more years supervisory experience in a private hospital
- Ensure the effective management of all nursing related services and activities, according to the policies, procedures and objectives of our clients
- Assist the Nursing Manager and Unit Managers to develop and implement action plans to improve problem areas and to monitor progress at night
- Monitor results of the Staff Survey and assist the Nursing Manager and Unit Managers to address problem areas and staff concerns
- Liaise with agencies to provide additional staff where required
- Monitor quality care delivered by all staff including agency staff
- Determine acuity and workload of all wards/units and allocate staff appropriately.
- Identify quality improvement opportunities and ensure appropriate strategy and quality improvement initiatives are developed and measured.
- Ensure the principles of infection prevention and all standard precautions are adhered to.
- Implement group quality initiatives.
- Investigate all negative incidents and ensure appropriate capturing on IMS
- Monitor safety standards in accordance with the Machine and Occupational Safety Act (Act 6 of 1983). Report all accidents and incidents to Line Manager / Safety Representatives
- Ensure compliance with protocols, policies and Acts
- Ensure that all equipment is in working order and properly maintained
- Control of asset register
- Develop and continue quality circles in the departments
- Co-ordinate and monitor all nursing activities in the hospital
- Ensure smooth delivery of care by regular ward rounds and audits
- Monitor the management of all medication
- Conduct regular checks of emergency equipment
- Facilitate patient referrals where required
- Where practicall possible liaise with the treating Doctors and ensure their orders are carried out
- Ensure achievement of transformation goals as set out by the Transformation Committee
- Actively participate as a member of a team to achieve goals
- Active involvement in own professional development to maintain a satisfactory level of skill and knowledge
- Keep up to date with Netcare’s evolving policies and procedures
- Keep abreast of current research in the applicable discipline
- Create an environment where staff are aware of the role they play in the provision of quality nursing care and their value to the organization
- Assign decision making, authority, tasks and responsibility to appropriate persons in order to maximize organisation and employee effectiveness.
- Develop a talented nursing workforce.
- Facilitate a culture that is supportive of talent management and the initiation of required implementations to hone nursing talent
- Facilitate effective change and conflict management
- Ensure professional conduct and appearance of staff
- Maintain the process of Enhancing Performance Development and Balanced Score Cards.
- Maintain a student friendly, academic environment in the hospital at night and work closely with the Clinical Facilitation Department to address problems and to implement solutions where applicable.
- Encourage in-service training for nursing staff based on their Individual Development Plans
- Monitor absenteeism rates of nursing staff and assist the Nursing Manager and Unit Managers to manage appropriately
- Work effectively and co-operatively with others to establish and maintain good working relationships that are mutually beneficial
- Create and maintain a positive environment where the differences of others are recognized, understood, and valued, so that all can reach their full potential and maximize their contributions
- Develop collaborative relationships to help accomplish work goal
- Maintain alignment with hospital Nursing Strategy
To apply, please send your updated CV to email@example.com
Please be advised that you will be contacted by Medipath Healthcare Recruitment within 14 days should we wish to proceed with your application. Similarly, if you are not contacted by Medipath Healthcare Recruitment, please accept your application as unsuccessful. Your CV will automatically be added to our database and we could be contacting you should a suitable position arise.